FLAMES OF BLUE FIRE

Your teargas is burning our eyes.

and the violence of your caste and religious hatred, our houses


burning from hunger is that belly,

which has walked 21 days to reach home


burning still is the naked corpse of my sister

that was found after three days, in the bushes of your field


burning is the heart of my father

a labourer

who stares at the cold chimneys of the mills


and my childhood too has become a burnt red

like these bricks that I bake


all the crop in the field, craving for water, 

is burning itself down

and my brother, to burn down his debt

is burning out himself like a matchstick


blowing hard in damp firewood

my mother's lungs

have become a furnace

and her widow-like daughter-in-law

awaiting the return of her labour husband

is burning her adulthood


chests of all men in my slum

have become factories emitting beedi smoke

and the degrees of young men

are now burning at desi liquor breweries


while you sit watching Ramayan in your houses

my uncles and aunties and kith and kin

frightened of the pandemic

are returning from Vanvaas, barefoot


and then suddenly

you appear on the television

provoking people to burn clay lamps


your words fall into my ears

like molten lead poured

in the ears of my ancestors

my blood rushes in my veins

like beasts rush out of a burning forest


And I decide

to not light the lamp

at 9 pm on April 5, 2020

but instead

become a lamp myself

‘Appa Deepa Bhava’

said the Buddha


By becoming educated and organised,

I will keep the fire burning

The fire that was lit by Babasahab.

And like Birsa

I will make a torch out of myself.


I will Light an oil-lamp in a shack and read Gulamgiri

And like Periyar, 

rise a moon of self-respect


I will fan the flames of Kanshiram's Bahujan movement, with a blue flag

And become Rohit

And become the first ray of sun


On April the 5th, at 9 pm

I will dive into a gutter

to accumulate the methane gas

I should tell you if you don't know

this gas burns with a blue flame


In these very blue flames

I will burn the Manusmriti

And burn all the Shastras

that have kept me at a social distance,

and imposed upon my existence

a psychological inferiority

by sticking the shame of a surname

at the end of my name


Hence tonight,

I will burn down this very fear of caste

Just like how

you burn Holika


On April 5 2020

at 9 pm

I will alight a flame of blue fire

And when those blue flames touch the blue sky

Your clay lamps

will be in the dire scarcityy of oxygen.

This poem published in international Magazine 'Antonym' - you can explore it by using this link below, 
https://antonymmag.com/maulikraj-shrimali/
 
[This poem is a translation of Hindi poem (नीली आग की लपटें written by Maulikraj Shrimali) into English by Prateek Khobragade]

(Click the link below to read an original Hindi poem)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

અને હું પુસ્તકો સુધી પહોંચ્યો....

Civilizational State without Caste? Recasting the Past, Civility, and the Limits of Liberal Critique

દીનેશકાકા, ઉર્ફે આલો અને વાલ્મીકિ સમાજ